Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Possum Trot 7/18

530pm/100+ degrees/Rtex Rside-Meriden-Rtex Riverside/8.5 miles/Gazelles PM group
Today we did the meridan/11th street loop. One of the streets is called Possum trot (the first hill) and I think that is pretty funny, because i felt like a possum trying to run up it!
I started at Rtex Riverside a little early after buying some of the "Nuun" electrolyte tablets (quite expensive-7 bucks) that people have suggested. I wanted to see if my electrolyte drink "staminex" by trace minerals could have some competition from another product. The Nuun tablet fizzed a lot in the water that i had and tasted pleasant (lemon lime) and gave the water a little carbonation. I chugged and began to run over to Rtex LA blvd to meet the group. The carbonation gave me a stomach cramp right away, so i made a mental note to take the drink earlier before running. Uneventful warm up run, I just noticed that it was very hot (100+) and not very humid. Good. Got to RTex LA, filled one of the water jugs for G, and suggested to the groupo that we moveo. Jogged up to the start, did the drills (order is: sideways, crossovers, skips, butt kicks, high knees, backwards, strides) and prepared mentally for 5X1000 followed by 5 sprints up the hill, 2 backwards. Gilbert cautioned us to go at 70% for these so Clint and I decided to hold each other accountable for that. It worked for the first couple, but as the workut progressed, we found that we were working at 85% or so to get a comparable time as the 70% for the first one. Ran the last one fairly hard, took hill 1 too hard and almost gave up, but held it together enough to recover and finish strong.
Sprints were difficult
Backwards were OK because I didn't rush them.
Calves cramped on the cool down back to RTex briefly, but went away once I hit the flats. Not sure about the Nuun tabs, I'll use them till they are gone and reevaluate their effectiveness.
Stats:
Repeat 1: 3:55 70% effort
Repeat 2: 3:59 75% effort
Repeat 3: 4:01 85% effort
Repeat 4: 3:46 95% effort

2 comments:

Trirains said...

Good run Steve! Sorry I was not there to share the fun. I got to runtex at about 5:45pm and the gazelles had all gone. I was'nt sure where this hill was so I went for a 7 mile tempo through the Mt. Bernel area. Temps were really high but ran fairly well despite the heat. Will be looking to meet up with the team this thursday so see you then.
Chris

Steven S. W. Fletcher said...

Chris, I posted a map on the gazelles forum showing the location of that run. Check the forum before the run to get directions and figure out where to meet. We are planning to have all the runs mapped and up there for people to use.

Sorry you missed it, we had a good workout. But a 7 miler around Bonnell is probably just as good.