Saturday, September 16, 2006

recap of the week 9/16

Been busy etc so the blog suffered. Here is what i've been up to.

Sunday - Long Run: Ran scenic loop up to Bonnell /steps/side road and back on scenic - total was about 15 miles- didn't time it.

Monday- we did the cannonball run from B springs, 5 mile loop, up congress to Annie, annie to bouldin and then back down to the trail and over to B Springs. It was quite tough running up Congress and It will be interesting to see how that affects the marathon group as time goes on. Total miles were 7 or so i think. Didn't pay too much attention to watch

Tuesday- Wilke repeats
Ran alone from Rtex and met group at base of Wilkes, Did 7 repeats fairly consistently (1:02-1:03), with 3 backwards and 3 sprints. Then ran alone back to Rtex. total miles are about 8 I think with all the ups and downs etc. Felt OK, ankle bothering me

Wednesday- Off

Thursday- 1000's at AHS, this workout didn't go as planned. I was hoping for 8 with a faster finish on the last two. Started out with 3:26 and held it there painfully for 6. Legs felt really dead and I couldn't muster up another 2. C'est la guerre...Bummed but realistic. Not everyday can be a great one. ran back the long way as self punishment. Mileage was about 8.

Friday- off

Saturday - Wanted to get a look at the course for marathon. Started with Paul, Pete , Floyd etc and quickly dropped off the pace. Ended up running for a while with Paul and Dustin and then at Enfield I peeled off on my own. Went to Pecos and started back west, missing the turn on Winston to get back to Expo. So I ended up running all the way to 35th on Pecos (quite hilly!) and caught up with another group, Greg, Scott M, Mike, Roger...so ran with them up Balcones to hancock and then foolishly turned N on Shoal Creek rather than S like they did. Ran up to Allandale, got lost for a while and began to dream of ice water. Finally made my way along Koenig to Lamar and got back on track at North loop. I knew that the course turned S. on Guadalupe after just a little bit on Nloop but I aimed for the new coffee shop further up the street for water. The barrista gave me a glorious cup filled to the brim with ice and water. It was probably the best cup of water i'd had in a while. So I drank that, knowing that GI issues may ensue. I did not care. Walked for about 50 meters to let it settle and then ran up northloop to airport blvd, finally turning S on that little side street parallel to Airport B... Ran down to R River, and then R. River to 38th. I ran along the edge of the golf course there on a little XC trail that parallels 38th st , it was a nice change. At the top of one little hill, next to a bathroom, was a hose bib at drinking level. Awesome! I soaked my head, drank about 2 quarts, and tried to cool the legs a little, muscles were getting fatigued. This is a great little secret watering hole and pitstop. shhhhhh.
At Duval and 38th, I turned S again and staggered down Duval, through campus to Jester for one last water stop and then past Ann Richards as she was being brought into the capital ( I stopped for this and took off my hat, felt rather foolish, but it seemed like the appropriate thing to do) and then down congress right before some parade (perhaps for ann richards? ). Anyway, the run took 2:20, distance was about 18.25 and I'm glad its over. I was dehydrated early on and really seemed affected by the water. A few minutes after drinking some, I'd want more. Real craving. Of course, I hadn't done 18 and wasn't really expecting to this morning, so that may have had something to do with it also. Legs were really tight for the last 3 miles, will need to work on this and get them used to long distances.

Mileage for week was at 56.

No comments: