Thursday, July 27, 2006

400 repeats 7/27

It was a night of trash talk unlike any other tonight on the track, with Mario challenging Desiree to a bike race (even though she wasn't there), Rudy trash talking Mario and Duane getting in on it as well. All in good fun. Everyone was running hard so it was a good night.

Tonight was a track workout and we were asked to run 15X400 with 1 min recovery. We were asked to run them a few seconds faster than the last time and we were asked to drop 2 seconds per set of 5 400's. With that in mind, here are the splits for the night.

First 5 400's were run at an average of 83 seconds ( 83, 83, 83, 83, 84)
Second set of 5 400's were run at an average of 81 (79, 82, 80, 81, 81)
last set were run sub 80 (79, 77, 80, 72, 70)

Ran with Rudy and Chris for most of them. Chris moved up to finish with Paul and Patrick Evoe. Rudy and I hung back and ran fairly solidly.
Impressions:
Overall, a good workout although i felt pretty bad after the first set-tired and lethargic. I felt like the breathing was labored although i noticed that i was able to keep it at one complete breathe per 2 complete step cycles (Inhale LRLR Inhale LRLR). THis is the breathing pattern i use when at threshold pace and it lets me know that i'm working but not anerobic yet. So, all the way up to the last 400 I was in this rhythm which tells me that my base is solid right now. The last one (#15) I blew up at 200m and just clawed my way to the end. My ankle ached a little too, perhaps from the 10 miler yesterday. I may not be able to run high miles this fall and try to sharpen for races at the same time. (too much strain on the ankle). It feels ok now, but, i will be watching it carefully. It might also be the combination of the hills monday, mile repeats tuesday, 10 miles yesterday and track workout today...Too much quality perhaps. Cross training and rest are as important as a good thumping on the track. Have to remember that and also stay true to running my pace and my workout. Easy to get sucked into the racing mentality. My goal this fall is to run a competative marathon (probably Dallas) and then pace Austin 3:10 group. I'm not out to prove anything to the world, but am ready to compete against my own PR's. THis focus will keep my energy contained for the races and will sustain me no matter what my place or time is.

Off to RI tomorrow so don't know when the next update will be.

No comments: