Tuesday, July 11, 2006

wilke repeats 7/11

time: 5:30pm
Temp: freaking hot
route: runtex riverside/wilke/runtex riverside
Workout 2.5m WU /2.5m CD and 7X wilke forwards, 3X 1/2 wilke backwards, 3X 1/4 wilke sprints.
Distance: about 7 miles with workout
Group: gazelles afternoon group

This was a very challenging workout with hi temps/humidity out the roof and no respite from the sun. I ran over to Wilke with Clint and Chris (New Gazelle) from Runtex Riverside and we caught up with most of the group at the base of the hill, where they were doing the drills in the shade. I knew it was going to be tough because i needed water before the drills- never a great sign for me. I was also feeling butterflies in my stomach on the way over and couldn't tell if it was nervousness about the workout or general malaise. I actually felt like stopping at one point and turning around. I'll have to explore that more. I guess i was apprehensive about the pain I knew i'd be in after a few of those repeats. Anyway, i kept on and took the workout more conservatively than in the past (sub 60 sec), i didn't time the repeats but was probably running them in 70-75 seconds or so. THey still hurt like hell. I did 7 and by the last one, i was really feeling groggy and after the 3 backwards and 3 sprints, i had a headache and felt like lead. My legs were shaking and my ears were blocked. After a few cups of ice water on the back of the head and around my wrists, i felt well enough for the jog back to the car. Good news is that i didn't cramp like normal in the calves and my ankle held up OK. Clint, Chris and I stopped at the Dog Pond below B. Springs and took a dip. That water has NEVER felt so good. I was willing to stay immersed for a while but we all needed to get back. THe last mile was nice because we had cooled down. It was great to see some old friends again, Des and Paul were there looking in great shape. Mario soldiered through, and Duane also. The afternoon group is strong and determined.

No comments: