Saturday, June 17, 2006

Saturday long run 6/17

tempestuous conditions this morning-I woke up late and was contemplating blowing off the run, but when I heard rain and thunder i knew I had to do it. I love being out in severe weather, It really energizes me for some reason. We had a downpour at 6am for the start, and then intermittant showers for our hilly long run. Finished off with a dramatic front moving in and obliterating most of the gazelles as they finished on South Lamar. I was lucky enough to just catch the front edge of the rain and got to the truck just as it really started coming down. THe route was the barton hills loop with a little extra added on to make it around ten miles.

The first 3-4 down to the lake were easy- although felt a little fast for the hills in my near future.
the TLTrail was deserted which made it fun, although vaulting over the putrid stream of runoff by the Austin High Track wasn't pleasant. We pushed through that couple of miles fairly quick with a group of 6-8 runners and then began pushing up Barton Hills road. Gilbert had given us directions to go a different way but I had never been that way so took the familiar route over to the start of the hills. We crept up past wilke and on to the corner, watered and then did the little loop down barton hills before hitting the final stretch. Up and over on S lamar back to Porter Middle School. THe rain/front hit about 1200 meters from the finish for me and the cool air was perfect.
All and all a great training run, I felt comfortable throughout and no complaints from the ankle. Feeling really good.

No comments: